1 pound trumpet mushrooms, sliced thin & into 1-inch pieces
1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped into ½ -1-inch bits
2 tablespoons Nama Shoyu (soy sauce can be substituted)
2 teaspoons Umi Boshi Plum Vinegar (balsamic can be substituted)
1 pound purple potatoes, shredded and juice squeezed out
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon chia seed
4 pounds squash, cubed (Homegrown Blue Hubbard Squash pictured here)
1 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 dried bay leaf
2 tablespoons Organic Coconut Manna
⅔ cup egg whites
2 large eggs, whipped
2 ounces of cheese ( Miyokos mozzarella is pictured here)
1. Do 30 minutes ahead: Chop and slice red pepper and mushroom. Marinade trumpet mushrooms and red pepper in a freezer bag along with nama shoyu umiboshi plum vinegar for at least ½ hour. While the marinade is marrying, prepare the chia gel for crust. Put the chia seeds in ⅓ water. Set aside for at least 15 minutes.
2. Set oven to 375 degrees, grease muffin tins generously with Buttery Coconut Oil, then place muffin tin in the refrigerator so it does not melt off the sides of the tins.
1.Heat a frying pan on medium with about 1 tablespoon of Buttery Coconut Oil.
2. Drain most of the marinade liquid out of the bag before dumping the mix into the pan.
3. Sautée the medley for 5-7 minutes or until the red peppers are tender.
4. Turn off heat and set aside.
Purple Potato Crust
1. Grate potatoes and squeeze out the juice; then in a mixing bowl, add the soaked chia seeds, nutritional yeast, and sea salt, then combine.
2. In the greased tins, spoon about 2 tablespoons of the crust mix in 8 of the tins. (Use lest crust mix for a crisper crust bottom.) then with your fingers, mold the mix into the tins to form a crust.
3. Place the muffin tin with wet mix, on the top ⅔ rack of the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
4. While crust is baking, move on to the creamed squash filling.
Creamed Squash Filling
1. Cut the squash into approx 1-inch cubes.
2. Mince the garlic.
3. Heat a small sauce pan and add about a ½ tablespoon of Buttery Coconut Oil let it get hot but not smoking and add the garlic bits.
4. Fast fry the garlic and toss it about after a 90 seconds so the other side can slightly brown. Take care not to burn. Turn off heat and remove the garlic place onto a paper or tea towel.
5. In the same sauce pan add the squash and fill with water, no higher than the top of the cubed squash.
6. Parboil for 5 minutes, then strain and rinse to cool it a bit be for whirling it in the food processor.
7. Put the rinsed squash cubes into the food processor (or use a fork and cream it that way.) and buzz it for 2-3 times until pretty creamy then scrape sides down and buzz it again.
8. Spoon the creamed squash back into the same sauce pan and add the Coconut Manna and Italian seasoning
9. Turn the heat on low and with a spoon mix it up until the Manna has melted and is well incorporated. Turn off and set aside.
1. Distribute the egg whites evenly into all 8 mini quiche crusts.
2. Add a dollop of the creamed squash into the middle each mini.
3. Spoon the trumpet mushroom medley on top of the dollop into each mini, filling each about ¾ of the way.
4. Whisk the 2 eggs together and top off each mini then add a sprinkle of chives and turn the heat up to 400 and bake for 12 minutes longer.
5. Take back out and add cheese to each mini and broil for 4-5 minutes longer.
6. Let cool in the tin for 10 minutes or so then loosen edges carefully with a butter knife and scoop out with a fork or mini spatula.