Breaking the Stigma with Mental Health Awareness Month
Mental Health Awareness Month gives us a great opportunity to focus on how we can support not just our own mental health but those around us. By raising awareness, we can reduce the stigma and discrimination associated with mental illness and seeking treatment, helping us all to feel safe to reach out for the help we need.
Here are 5 ways to help support your own mental health:
1. Reach out to a trusted friend. It is okay to not be okay, but it is important to remember that you are not alone. While it can be scary to reach out for help, having a good support system can be the first step to helping you heal, grow, and recover.
2. Prioritize movement. Even 10 to 15 minutes of walking a day can benefit both physical and emotional health.
3. Focus on healthy sleep. Quality sleep is crucial to our overall well-being. One way to increase quality sleep is creating a bedtime routine; This could look like turning off electronics, journaling, reading, or drinking a calming herbal tea before bed.
4. Talk to yourself like you would talk to a good friend. Often, we can be our harshest critics. The things we say to ourselves we would never dare say to a good friend. So next time you make a mistake or feel down, grant yourself the compassion and kindness that you would to a good friend. It can go a long way in feeling better!
5. Take a few minutes throughout the day to do deep breathing. Deep breathing is a wonderful way to lower stress in the body. Check out IBreathe for a simple app that guides you through deep breathing exercises.
Please enjoy this lavender infused body oil recipe using our Liquid Coconut Oil as a perfect way to unwind after a long day.
DIY Lavender Infused Body Oil
8 oz of Liquid Coconut Oil or MCT Oil
1/3 cup of dried lavender buds
Quick Version: If you do not have dried lavender buds, you can make instant body oil by using 20-40 drops (or more as needed) of lavender essential oil
Fill a clean, dry glass jar with the dried lavender buds.
Pour the liquid coconut oil over the dried lavender in the jar. Make sure the flowers are completely covered and the oil is at least 1 inch above the top of the flowers.
Use a clean, dry spoon or knife to mix thoroughly so that all herb surfaces are fully coated, and no air bubbles remain.
Seal the jar with a lid and gently stir or shake the jar back and forth in your hands to thoroughly mix the flowers and oil.
Place the jar in a dark, warm spot, but not directly in the sunlight.
Let the infused oil sit for 2-4 weeks. Every 1-3 days, gently shake the jar in your hands to help fully mix the oil & flowers and to release the flower's aromatics into the oil.
Strain the oil after 2-4 weeks.